[mendicant-community] Thinking about sunsetting Mendicant

Jordan Byron jordan.byron at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 05:06:30 PST 2013

I too like the idea of weekly stand ups, but I'm not convinced that this is a project which needs to be created. The same result (participating in weekly stand ups) could easily be accomplished in a decentralized way, through blogs, or on existing software, this mailing list for example.

There are a bunch of projects out there (https://github.com/giving/giving.github.com/issues) working on some great causes that could use our help. I know Main Street Mission's food pantry app is always looking for support (https://github.com/MainStMission/food-pantry-manager)

Of course I don't want to dissuade anyone from working on a project they are passionate about. The truth is I'd probably use the app you've described Shane, but I know I'd feel better focusing my work on something that serves a group other than programmers.

As for sunsetting Mendicant it's something I've never really given much though to until yesterday. As Greg said, Mendicant just isn't what it used to be and that's not a bad thing. I'm very proud of the work we've done together and I too think we need to give Mendicant a proper farewell. What exactly that means I'm not sure, but I know we will think of something. Even if that involves taping unicorns to our shirts: http://i.imgur.com/o1nU6.jpg

<3 Jordan