[mendicant-community] Mendicant's Aging Technical Infrastructure

Jordan Byron jordan.byron at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:35:28 PST 2013

Greetings Unicorns!

As I am sure many of you know, the past few weeks have seen several serious security vulnerabilities for the Ruby on Rails framework and its dependencies (rack, json). Each time a new security patch is released, not only do I have to patch my personal and professional sites but I also have to go through all of Mendicant's sites and update them as well. Needless to say this process has become a burden and I would like to discuss the best way to move forward.

Personally, I believe all of Mendicant's technical infrastructure, with the exception of mendicantuniversity.org, can be sunset without much fuss. This includes:

Community: http://community.mendicantuniversity.org
PuzzleNode: http://puzzlenode.com
University Web: http://school.mendicantuniversity.org
Anita: http://anita.mendicantuniversity.org
Mendibot: https://github.com/mendicant-original/mendibot

I would be lying if I said this decision doesn't make me a little sad. I've personally spent several years building and maintaining these apps and many of you have done the same. However the reality of the situation is that all of these sites have been inactive for a very long time.

If anyone feels these sites should be kept online please let me know. I would be willing to help migrate them over to a new server but we would first have to put someone in charge of doing security updates and maintenance.

Thanks everyone. Have a fun weekend!

Jordan